Sunday, January 3, 2010

What is Your Heart Set On?

Hearing from God Day 1: Psalm 119:106-112

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws. I have suffered much; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your word. Accept, O LORD, the willing praise of my mouth, and teach me your laws. Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law. The wicked have set a snare for me, but I have not strayed from your precepts. Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart. My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end. (NIV)

Much of this psalm sings the praises of following God’s word. Each of the 22 verses (one verse for each of the letters of the Hebrew alphabet) has 8 lines describing the significance of following God’s commands, precepts, law, statutes, etc.

Why does the psalmist have such confidence in God’s word? God’s word is certain. It’s proven. Regardless of the circumstance, whether we experience suffering, fear, injustice or anything else, God’s word remains constant. We can trust the word to be the light to our path.

It’s easy to become overwhelmed with fear or pain. Sometimes suffering and uncertainty seem to speak much louder than the Word at times. What do we do then? The last verse says that we can set our hearts on keeping God’s decrees. No matter what we feel. No matter what we are experiencing. We can still remain obedient to God. The whole world may seem to be jumping over a cliff, but we can remain on solid ground.

What are our hearts set on? We could set our hearts on a promise or a bonus, on a plum job or a retirement fund. Like the Psalmist, if we set our hearts on God’s Word, we have placed our trust in something that is more certain than the ground we stand on. Jesus said, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away” (Matthew 24:35).

The first place to hear from God is in His Word. What do you need to hear from God about today? Take a look at His word first. It’s the best place to start.




Scripture quotations taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment