Monday, April 26, 2010

The Answer to Trouble is Trust

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:1-3

Jesus gave these words to His disciples to prepare them just prior to His arrest. He gathered them together and washed their feet (John 13:1-17), then He shared what was coming next. Peter in his brashness swore to “lay down my life for you” (John 13:37). Jesus told Peter, “No, you won’t. You’re going to deny me, then the rooster is going to crow” (John 13:38).

There was an obvious amount of apprehension among the disciples that night. As much as Jesus had tried to prepare them, the reality was slowing sinking in along with a great deal of fear. Then, Jesus speaks these words: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.” The answer to their trouble was trust.


Jesus goes on to explain that He is going to prepare a place for them and that He will return for His disciples (including us). How do we know that? We know because this is what Jesus promised us.

King James inserted the word “mansion” because that’s where he preferred to live in Heaven. The hymn writers liked that image. Ira Stanphill penned “I've got a mansion just over the hilltop.” Should we change it to “I’ve got a room just over the hilltop”? Sort of sounds like an eternal Motel 6.

Whether large or small, posh or sparse, Jesus promised a place for us. He said that we could trust God for that. Outside of God’s promise, the only thing we know for sure is that at the end of this life, our bodies return to the earth, ashes to ashes and dust to dust (Genesis 3:19). But, that’s not entirely true.

Most people have a sense of life beyond this life. Solomon said, “God has set eternity in the hearts of men” (Ecclesiastes 3:11). If you asked the man on the street where people go after they die, most would say “Heaven.” How they plan to get there may be another matter.

For believers, we understand from Jesus’ words that there is a better place beyond this one. There is also a better life beyond a mere earthly existence. Eternal life is our possession now.

Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust God. He’s got a plan for us.



No comments:

Post a Comment