Sunday, January 23, 2011

Less Talk Equals Less Trouble

Esther had not revealed her nationality and family background, because Mordecai had forbidden her to do so. Esther 2:10


I have far more regrets over things that I’ve said than over things that I haven’t said. Let me qualify that though. Being a typical male, I don’t always tell people how I feel about them. Feelings – they’re just plan scary. So, I am making an effort to let my family know how I feel about them and congratulate folks for excellent work. Those things shouldn’t go unsaid.


But, overall, I find myself talking less these days. Less talk equals less trouble. It’s not that I’m holding back a vast reserve of sarcasm and critical barbs. I’ve just decided that everyone doesn’t need to hear everything that I have to say about every subject. And, things are going much better.


Esther, under the direction of her cousin, Mordecai, didn’t reveal her nationality or family background. While Jews were regarded more favorably under the Persians than under their original captors the Babylonians, it might have been dangerous for Esther to reveal her true identity. Now, we don’t know if anyone had actually asked her about her background. If she had lied about who she was, then that would have been a problem and a sin. But, not telling, well, that’s another matter. As scholar Matthew Henry puts it, “All truths are not to be spoken at all times, though an untruth is not to be spoken at any time.”


We don’t know if being a Jew would have disqualified Esther from the queen competition. If that was a possibility, then why wouldn’t Esther just shout her ethnicity from the roof tops? She could have avoided the whole thing. But, then again, her people would have been wiped out.


Mordecai, by wisdom or intuition, directed Esther in the right way. Esther’s silence, then courageous appeals later, saved her people from annihilation.


How’s your mouth these days? What kinds of things should you stop saying? What kinds of things should you start saying? If you’re not sure, then choose to look very intelligent by keeping it closed. 

Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/galatians419


To subscribe or leave a comment on the galatians419 devotional blog: http://galatians419.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. I'm not convinced it would have made much difference. After her background was revealed, I don't see where the king rejected her, in fact, just the opposite. Her and Mordecai's fear that he may reject her didn't necessarily make it a fact.

    I tend to believe that no matter what Esther, Mordecai, Haman, or the king said or did, God's plan would have still worked out just the way he wanted it. After all, the fact that he allows Satan such freedom to wreck our lives, and still asks us to believe that he will, not just fix the damage, but make it all to our profit, says that even the most intelligent being in all his creation can't even change one tiny detail of his plan.

    So what comes through, in this and every other story, is the awesome power of God to make it all work out, in spite of our mistakes and wrong turns, and the harmful intents of others and our bad environment. There is reason to hope, NO MATTER WHAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Al, I do believe that there is reason to hope. But, I can't help but thinking your comment is a little fatalistic.

    ReplyDelete