Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Bible Reveals God’s Vision for Your Life

By Allen White


For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:21


I love books. Like some people love chocolate, I love books. At any given time, I am in the middle of six or more books. Always. So, you can imagine that over the years, I’ve collected quite a few books.


So many books, in fact, that when we moved into the new offices at Brookwood Church, there wasn’t enough room in my office for all of my books and me. My books are in my office, in my house, in my garage, and in other people's offices.

What do I read? I’m so glad that you asked. I read books on leadership, discipleship, spiritual formation, sales and marketing, reference, theology, commentaries, novels – all kinds of pastor/leader/teacher sorts of things.
 Most of my books were written by one author. Sometimes there is a co-author. But, among my sets of biblical commentaries there are many authors and a general editor. Since each book is written by a different scholar, the general editor makes sure that the whole thing makes sense together. You don’t want a legalist interpreting James, and then an antinomian translating Galatians in the same set of books. That would be confusing. The thoughts have to flow.


I have one book that was written by 40 authors over 1,500 years on three continents in three different languages. It has no general author. How could it? The writing took 40 generations to complete. That book is the Bible.


The Bible is a remarkable book. Using the personalities and experiences of the writers, the Holy Spirit led them to compose different elements to reveal God’s vision for our lives.


Both kings and peasants wrote of grace and redemption. A murderer reveals the origins of the universe (Genesis). A tax collector translates Jesus to a Jewish audience (Matthew). A terrorist leads us down the Romans Road of God’s grace.


No one could have planned the Bible. There were no cheat sheets as to what should be written next.


We aren’t told everything that we want to know, but we are given everything that we need to know. Are these the end times? We don’t know that. What we do know is that God has given us His power to win the lost (Acts 1:6-8). But, what about all of this turmoil in the Middle East? Is that a sign?


If it is a sign, it points us to look up from the internet and look across the street to our neighbor who needs Christ. The answers to their problems are found in God’s Word.


God’s Word is alive and active. It’s not a dusty old book. The Bible is the bestselling book of all-time, yet it’s nearly 2,000 years old.


What do you need to hear from God today? The Bible reveals God’s vision for your life.


Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/galatians419


To subscribe or leave a comment on the galatians419 devotional blog: http://galatians419.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment