Friday, August 5, 2011

Personal Update

By Allen White

After four years, I am no longer on the staff of Brookwood Church in Simpsonville, South Carolina. During my 20 years of ministry, I have learned that God changes direction for both people and churches. After a considerable amount of thought and prayer, I am seeking a new direction in ministry.

My time at Brookwood was a time of building. I’m always thrilled to help people get their gifts into the game when it comes to ministry. With a small department of 2.5 people, we accomplished a great deal with the help of many gifted and talented volunteers. Small groups grew by 50% from where we started in 2007. Many new leaders started groups over the last four years. I’m currently working with a group of police officers to start a First Responders group at Brookwood Church. Cut me, and I bleed small groups.

BrookwoodU was formed to help people connect through a wide variety of classes in Personal Enrichment, Spiritual Growth, and Leadership Development. Someone asked me one day how we pulled it off. I told them that BrookwoodU started with God and a couple of bucks – Don Buck and Tim Buck. Dr. Mike Collins and so many others were instrumental in getting everything going.

In three years, BrookwoodU grew from zero to 1,226 students in 104 classes and seminars. This last year, we opened a computer lab, thanks to the help of Justine Allison and her I.T. team at Brookwood. Professional computer classes are offered for $5 per class to job seekers and others who want to gain skills. Fall classes are enrolling: brookwoodchurch.org/brookwooduclasses.

We also started large group affinity ministries to help people connect and eventually to join small groups: Men of Brookwood (MOB), BWomen, PrimeTime 50+, Brookwood Young Couples, and the Brookwood Business Network. Compared to the current Sunday adult attendance of 4,000, 78% are connected in some way to small groups, BrookwoodU or a large affinity group.

When I started at Brookwood Church, I never imagined that writing would be a part of what I did. The Message Discussion Guide became a tool to help folks take the weekend service into their week by applying the Sunday sermon. We created several church-wide campaigns: The Story, Living a Balanced Life, and Wrestling with God. An online devotional is read by over 1,200 people each day.

I am grateful to God for the success that all of these ministries have experienced over the last four years. I appreciate Perry Duggar and Brookwood Church for giving me the opportunity to serve. God has a new assignment for me, and God has a new discipleship pastor for the church. I am thankful to Perry and the Trustees for their generosity to me and my family during our time of transition. God knows the next steps for all of us. Please pray for us as we find ours.

It is hard to leave so many friends. Thank you for all of your hard work in building the Kingdom. My work at Brookwood has come to an end, but your work continues. Be faithful in the work God has given you.

Your Brother in Christ,
Allen White

5 comments:

  1. Several have asked about the daily devotional. Yes, I will continue to write the devotionals and send them out five days a week. As long as you keep reading, I'll keep writing.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the members of Brookwood are surely saddened by this news, I'm certain that you are destined to lift up others who are in need of you amazing gifts. It's easy to enjoy the fruits of your labor but in order to follow your path you sometimes need to leave that comfort and begin a new effort. Good luck to you cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allen, many blessings as you find your next calling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wrote this very well. Wishing you and your family nothing but the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when you first came to Brookwood. It always feels 'weird' to meet the new guy whom is just arriving and striving hard to find acceptance. I did not know about you and just went about my days. BUT, over the last four years, you have become a vital link, brother in Christ, supporter, and friend. Brookwood will thrive, as it is an awesome Church, but you will NEVER be forgotten! My Prayers are for you and your family. Love you! With God, things only get bigger and better!

    ReplyDelete