Thursday, June 7, 2012

Shortcuts to the Long Way


By Allen White
Deceit is in the hearts of those who plot evil, but those who promote peace have joy. Proverbs 12:20

Ever taken a short cut? One day I was driving back from having my lawn mower repaired. The mower was sticking out of the trunk of my car with the trunk lid tied down the best I could. I may very well be the only man in the South without a truck.

I didn’t want to take the highway, so I took a smaller street that would get me and the mower home safely. As I drove, traffic became slower and slower until it came to a crawl. I looked over at the highway and thought it might have been a better choice. Then, I found a shortcut on my GPS.

A great side street moved all of the way off of the map. I had found a winner and would no longer be stuck behind all of the mess.

I made a right turn and drove for several miles only to discover what the GPS failed to show me. The street was a dead end. As I made a uturn and headed back to the surface street and the traffic jam, I realized my shortcut was not short. My trip actually grew longer. Now, I was stuck behind more cars than ever. I had been deceived.

Evil seems like a shortcut. Lucifer, the most beautiful archangel in Heaven, decided to compete with God rather than bask in God’s glory. The pride in his heart made him God’s enemy and ours. Now, the deception continues.

As we are tempted by evil, sometimes we eye the shortcuts in life. This proverb tell us the hearts of people set on evil are filed with deceit. Deceit is not just a weapon against others. Deceit is self-destructive. People who do evil are not just deceivers, but are also deceived.

Whatever they think will bring them happiness brings them far less. The contrast to deceit in this passage is peace. Rather than manipulating someone to follow your way, folks who promote peace achieve unity which results in joy.

Most of us wouldn’t categorize ourselves in the ranks of Satan. That’s a bit extreme. We’re not evil. We’re not anti-God. We just want things our way – which happens to be anti-God and thus evil. Oops.

Promoting peace doesn't mean passively smoothing things over and ignoring others' bad behavior. It also doesn’t mean never getting our way.

Here’s a simple truth: you and I are not the Holy Spirit. We do not need to talk about others' faults and failures. We don’t need to tattle on them like little children. Their deeds will be found out soon enough. We don’t even have to say a word to another person. But, we should direct all of our words to God.

We should tell God our fears over a situation. We should report to God the misdeeds of others. We should ask God to make things right. Then, we should ask God to give us His peace that passes all understanding.

One of my favorite passages from Scripture says this, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Phiiippians 4:6-7). Practicing this verse will lead to peace and joy.

Leave a Comment or Subscribe: galatians419.blogspot.com
More from Allen White: allenwhite.org
Facebook: Galatians419 Group

No comments:

Post a Comment