Monday, September 28, 2009

Living a Balanced Life Week 2 Day 2

James 2:17

So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. (ESV)

People have tried to convince me that if they believe something strongly enough it becomes faith. That’s simply not true. I could believe that my black car is really orange, but that doesn’t make it orange. I could strongly believe that God will give me everything that I want, but God knows better than that. He knows that what pleases me might get in the way of what pleases Him. Why would He set me up for failure?

Faith is not strong belief. Faith is a gift (Ephesians 2:8-9). The faith that God gives leads to action. Faith is not a noun. It’s a verb in the original language of the Bible.

When God gave us faith to be saved, things dramatically changed in our lives. We left behind some of our worldly ways and thinking. We’re not 100 percent there, but it’s a process, right?

I know people with tremendous Christian doctrinal statements. The biblical basis of their beliefs is impeccable. Some of these people are really mean. Most of them are very frustrated. Why? Because what we truly believe is what we actually do. If the fire alarm sounds and we don’t believe there is a fire, we don’t run out of the building.

How does your life show what you believe? What “doctrinal statement” would others write for you based on how you live?

Copyright © 2009 Allen White

Scripture quotations taken from The Holy Bible: English Standard Version, copyright © 2001, Wheaton: Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment