Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Who Can You Trust?

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 2:14


I have followed a sales trainer for a number of years named Jeffrey. (We’ll call him Jeffrey, because that’s actually his name). He has interesting things to say about motivation and reaching others. In fact, I started writing this devotional blog as well as our Small Groups blog because of Jeffrey. Writing a daily devotional seemed like a daunting task to me. Jeffrey gave some practical tips on the writing process and here we are 12 months into these daily devotionals.


Jeffrey’s goal in life is making sales and making money. But, in that, he has a lot to say about human nature. He writes some interesting things. But, his life is not built on Christ from what I can see. In fact, he uses a coin as a business card. The coin states “In Sales We Trust.” Obviously, that’s a much different foundation from the one I’ve built my life on.


Don’t get me wrong. There’s nothing bad about doing business. It makes the world go ‘round, right? We’ve all got to eat.


What I am saying is that when it comes to the foundational things in my life, the things that I stand for, I don’t go to people who are outside of the family of God. While they may be very talented, knowledgeable and successful, the core of my life is built on faith in God, not on a motivational speaker.


Ungodly people don’t understand the things of God. It’s not because they’re bad. The only thing that makes them ungodly is that they don’t have God in their lives. Without God, we were also ungodly once upon a time. People without the Spirit of God cannot understand the things of God.


Now, let me clarify something. If I’m in need of surgery, I want the best surgeon available be it Buddhist, Hindu, Presbyterian or Voodoo priest (okay, maybe I would reconsider the last one). I don’t want a mediocre surgeon just because he’s a Baptist. I want the best available.


But, when it comes to decisions about my life’s direction, I don’t want people with worldly values and mere monetary success. I want to consult with godly people. And, that doesn’t necessarily mean churchgoers in general. I want to surround myself with people who have Christ-like character, who are closely connected to the Father, and who forsake the ways of the world for the ways of the Kingdom.


Who do you admire? What do you aspire to be? Who are the godly and ungodly influences in your life? What advice are you taking?

To subscribe to this daily devotional by email or RSS feed or leave a comment: http://galatians419.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment