Tuesday, June 29, 2010

When God Became Real for Me

the Father…has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 1:12-14


I have been a Christian as long as I can remember. Now, I did make a commitment to Christ several hundred times at least. As Perry Duggar says, “If you say you’ve been saved your whole life, that’s too long.”


I have attended church every Sunday since I was two weeks old. Going to church was not a question in our family. We were there every Sunday for Sunday school, morning worship, and the evening service. We were also there every Wednesday night and a lot of other times as well.


I always enjoyed going to church, except for the occasional Sunday night when something really great was going to be on the Wonderful World of Disney. If it looked especially good, I would occasionally feign illness in order to stay home and watch the program. This didn’t work very well. Between the guilt of my deceptiveness and the absence from church, surely if the Lord would return, I would not be going.


Then, in the summer of 1982 something changed. I was looking forward to my senior year of high school, so I could go to law school and become a high-powered, big-80’s corporate attorney. I wasn’t as interested in the law as I was in getting my next Porsche. Practicing medicine seemed so messy…But God had something different in mind.


That summer at youth camp, God did a work in my life. Lying on the red, yellow and orange shag carpeting of the camp chapel, God spoke to me. He called me. He called me to a life that was set apart. He called me into ministry. Any desire to do anything else left me. I belonged fully to Him.


At that moment, everything described in this passage became true for me. My sins were forgiven. I was redeemed. I was rescued from the dominion of darkness. God qualified me to share in His inheritance.


When did these things happen to you? If this hasn’t happened in your life, then it’s very easy to cross the line of faith and trust God fully for your salvation. If you have any questions, please send me a note or give me a call: 864-688-8244.


If you would like to share your story with me and the other readers of these devotionals, just follow the instructions below to leave a comment on the blog.


To subscribe or leave a comment on the galatians419 devotional blog: http://galatians419.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment