Saturday, November 20, 2010

Guest Post: allow the process of serving to help you stay planted for life

by mike hepola • family ministries pastor


Instead you thrill to GOD’s Word, you chew on Scripture day and night. You’re a tree replanted in Eden, bearing fresh fruit every month, Never dropping a leaf, always in blossom. Psalm 1:2-3 (Msg)


Several years ago, I began looking for outlets or hobbies in which I could immerse myself to help me maintain a healthy perspective in ministry. God gave me a passion for the outdoors, His incredible creation. So I began to camp, kayak, hike, and bike. Something that I notice is trees and their sheer beauty and intricacy. These verses help me relate my spiritual life to the amazing qualities of a tree. Some of the qualities in this passage made me think of:


Permanence
This quality of the Christian life is crucial. We must be permanently planted in God’s Word. We need to be permanent in our faith and not let anything shake us. We are to be rooted in the Word of God. This means that if a decision, problem, or doubt faces us, we should always refer to God’s Word for assurance and guidance. This permanence gives us security.


Position
As important as it is to be planted, we must make sure we don’t plant ourselves in a field that’s getting chopped down by lumberjacks. We are to plant ourselves by streams of water. Water nourishes and feeds the tree to grow strong. Just like the tree needs water, we need God’s Word to nourish, feed, and counsel us. We should also have a “pastor” in our lives—not just Perry on Sunday mornings. I’m talking about someone in your life whom you can consult on a personal level, another Christian whom you trust for Biblical advice and not just opinion.


Productivity
When a tree is healthy, taking in nourishment, and firmly planted, it doesn’t only grow—it bears fruit. If we are reading and meditating on God’s Word and positioning ourselves with people who nourish us, we will also bear fruit for Christ. That fruit may be displayed in service to others.


Where do you find your security?
Who do you talk with and receive advice from about spiritual matters?
How is your life bearing fruit?


Prayer: God, help me to be firmly planted in Your Word and to position myself with people who can help me grow in my relationship with You. Make my life fruitful for Your Kingdom.


_______________________________________________


You are receiving the devotionals that the pastors of Brookwood Church have prepared for ServeFest 2010. ServeFest was a community outreach that will take place on Saturday, November 20, 2010 in Greenville County, South Carolina.


The devotionals following the Beatitudes series will resume on November 24, 2010.
_______________________________________________






No comments:

Post a Comment