Monday, November 22, 2010

Guest Post: allow the process of serving to help you stay planted for life

by steve bassie • care ministries pastor


“For it is just like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them. To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey. Immediately the one who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and gained five more talents. In the same manner, the one who had received the two talents gained two more. But he who received the one talent went away and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money. Now after a long time, the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’ Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’ And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed. And I was afraid and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’ But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest. Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents. For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”  Matthew 25:14-30 (NSA)


It is important that we recognize that as we live our lives on this Earth, we are participants in an economy of God’s design. We have been created to serve in respect to the assets that God has entrusted us with. He has made an investment into us, and there will be a day that He will return to make a reckoning for the investment He has made in us. The purpose of His investment of the assets that belong to Him towards us is to make a positive return.


How does that make you feel?


The response for the first two servants was to “immediately” go put the assets that they were entrusted with to work. They went into their community and found ways of investing in their communities. The result was that they were able to succeed in benefiting their communities and increasing their own investment.


When we invest ourselves into our community, we apply what we have been given by our Master to a community in need. We benefit our community, and we are blessed with an increase of our investment.


How are you strategically investing yourself into your community? If you do not have a strategy, you will not be as effective as you could be in using what God has given you.


The first two servants were able to look toward the return of their Master with excitement. When He returned to receive their report, they were both able to stand confidently before their Master. They were so excited to show Him the results of their diligent work. The third servant must have been dreading the Master’s return. He knew that he had not been responsible with the Master’s investment that he had been entrusted with.


How do you look toward the time when our Master will “settle accounts” with you as His servant that He has invested into? The way you look toward that time reflects your sense of confidence in what you are investing into your community.

What this all comes down to is the view we have (as servants) of our Master that we serve. For the first two servants, they knew that they were loved, and they felt honored and privileged to be given the responsibility to be a part of their Master’s economy. Because of this, they served their Master with love, honor, and responsibility. The third servant did not see the Master for who He truly was. He wrongfully depicted his Master in a negative way to justify his dereliction of his duty.


How does your view of God affect the way you serve Him in your community?


Prayer: God, my Master, My Lord, help me to recognize who You are in my life. I know that I am Your servant and You have entrusted me with assets that You desire for me to use in your economy. Help me to become more responsible, to participate in and invest into my community. Everything I have is Yours. Keep me from hoarding or hiding what You have given to me.


_______________________________________________


You are receiving the devotionals that the pastors of Brookwood Church have prepared for ServeFest 2010. ServeFest was a community outreach that will take place on Saturday, November 20, 2010 in Greenville County, South Carolina.


The devotionals following the Beatitudes series will resume on November 24, 2010.
_______________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment