Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Wise Men Say Only Fools Rush In

Then she instructed him to say to Mordecai, “All the king’s officials and the people of the royal provinces know that for any man or woman who approaches the king in the inner court without being summoned the king has but one law: that they be put to death unless the king extends the gold scepter to them and spares their lives. But thirty days have passed since I was called to go to the king.” Esther 4:10-11


The old saying goes, “Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.” At times, I have been that fool. No doubt, Esther was overcome with emotion at the news of the edict, but she also knew that there was a severe consequence for entering the king’s presence uninvited. Esther’s dilemma: would she perish with her people or would she perish first? This king, obviously, had no tolerance for disrespect. After all, consider the queen that she had replaced.


We are not called to play it safe. We are also not called to act foolishly. I don’t know where we ever got the idea that nuts were more spiritual than regular people. I guess from John the Baptist or Jeremiah or someone.


Having been in full-time ministry for just over 20 years, I have heard a lot of prayer requests that sound like this: Pray that we’ll have a safe trip. Pray that I’ll have a safe procedure. Pray that the closing on our house goes smoothly. Pray that the interview goes well. These are prayers for our convenience and our comfort. Don’t get me wrong. I pray for people who need prayer. But, sometimes I wonder if all we really want is a lucky charm, a rabbit's foot to hang from our rearview mirror.


Maybe what we really should be praying for is “Help me to emotionally survive a weekend with my in-laws. Or, Lord, help me find the right neighborhood where I can be a witness for you. Or, help me find a job that will support the ministry that You’ve called me to.” (Every believer has a calling. Do you know what yours is?)


In all of life’s dilemmas, the bottom line is that we live on a promise: “God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you’” (Hebrews 13:5). Every believe needs to get to a place where that promise is enough.


Whether things go our way or not, we can rest in knowing that God is always there for us, no matter what, and that is enough. Whether the market is on an upturn or a downturn, God is still on the throne. It may mean that we will have to discover some things about ourselves and some things about God in the process. If only discomfort causes us to grow, then God will ruthlessly eliminate our comfort to get us there.


What do you need to trust God for today?


Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/galatians419


To subscribe or leave a comment on the galatians419 devotional blog: http://galatians419.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Your article was not found by accident for sure, but it just brought 'enlightenment' in such a simple and beautiful way! I thank God for using you and it is very true what you are saying-Thanks so much-keep writing😊🙏🏽

    ReplyDelete