Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Talk Is Cheap

By Allen White

He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing. Matthew 26:42-44

Getting other people to understand can be pretty frustrating. “Why can’t they see things the way that I see them?” The simple answer is – because they’re not you. Even those who are closest to us don’t always understand our sense of urgency or the depth of our pain. We really shouldn’t expect others to understand, but we should always be understanding.

The disciples didn’t fully understand why they were asked to watch in the garden. After all, Jesus had escaped the religious leaders and other enemies many times before.

To them, this seemed like another of Jesus’ escapades. They were tired, so they slept. They hadn’t embraced the angst that would have kept them awake at night. It wasn’t their angst.

Frustration comes when others don’t catch the vision of what we’re passionate about. “Why don’t they feel as strongly about this need as I do?” Again, they’re not you. God makes us passionate about things for us to do something about, not just talk about. If God’s Will could be accomplished simply by talking, we would have completed God’s mission a thousand times over by now. Talk is cheap.

Where are you growing frustrated these days? Who do you feel that you need to take along? Who should you maybe leave behind? Why do you want to bring them? “Because I’m married to him/her.” Okay, that’s a good reason. At what point, do you need to go it alone and take it directly to God?

Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/galatians419

To subscribe or leave a comment on the galatians419 devotional blog: http://galatians419.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. That is a tough one, especially when it relates to ministry. I recognize I am often strong willed and want to get things done. I have to remind myself that my way is not always best but this helped me to just dwell on the fact that 'they are not me'. And that is ok

    ReplyDelete