Sunday, October 5, 2014

I’ve Fallen and I Can’t Get Up

By Allen White

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Remember that commercial where the older women presses a button on her necklace, then says, “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.” The button promises independence with an emergency backup. And, I’m sure that it’s helped a lot of people. But, there’s something better than a “personal alarm,”  how about sharing life with an actual person?

One night, I was listening to Dr. Mike Collins. I was tempted to leave early, since it was Game 5 of the World Series (Go Giants!), but I stayed for his whole talk and missed three scoreless innings.

Mike Collins is one of the most remarkable people that I’ve ever known. Mike was an athlete, a trainer, a coach, a professor and a successful businessman. He’s also a Texan. He mentioned last night that he grew up understanding that you don’t ask for help, you do it yourself.

After an automobile accident in 2003, Mike was left paralyzed from the chest down. While he has gained some movement through intensive physical therapy, he is entirely dependent on his wife and his friends for everything. While I’m sure that there is frustration at times (he would never admit that), he says that he’s happier and more fulfilled now than ever. What business success couldn’t bring him a life changing injury did.

When I listen to Mike, I do appreciate the use of my physical abilities. But, most of all, I appreciate his attitude and his outlook on life. I have never left a conversation with him and not felt encouraged. He could have plenty to complain about, yet he chooses to encourage others. He also works three days per week at Greenville Tech with Susan by his side.

Most of us have full use of our physical abilities, yet we are paralyzed in other ways. We can’t get passed the things that we’ve done. We can’t get over the hurt of our past. We can’t escape the pull of an addiction. We’re stuck. We need a little button, so we can shout, “I’m stuck and I can’t move forward!”

In the church, help is all around us. Have you asked for help? Have you asked for someone to pray about the thing that’s breaking your heart? Have you borrowed something from someone rather than going out and charging it on your credit card? Do you have a small group around you to encourage you and to lead you to the truth of God’s Word?

Or have you fallen and you can’t get up?

Support Galatians 419 Ministries with a Tax Deductible Donation through the Joy to the World Foundation:http://joytotheworldfoundation.org/operating-projects/149-galations-419-ministries/backing

Leave a Comment or Subscribe: galatians419.blogspot.com
More from Allen White: allenwhite.org
Facebook: Galatians419 Group

Twitter: @galatians419 @allenwhite   

No comments:

Post a Comment