Wednesday, November 12, 2014

God Is With You: Good News or Bad News?

By Allen White

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. Psalm 139:7-8

This is either good news or bad news depending on your relationship with God. If you’re running from God, then His presence probably feels like the “hound of Heaven” who will track you down wherever you go. You can’t get away from Him.

As a teenager, this took on the connotation that I’d better behave, because God was watching everything that I did. Maybe this is how teenagers should feel. The implication, however, was that if I messed up, God would put that on my permanent record. If I didn’t confess my sin, then I’d better hope the rapture didn’t occur any time soon. Fortunately, I’m not this eternally insecure any more.

For those of us who belong to God and desire His presence, this verse gives a lot of comfort. When you are in a dark place, God is there. When you feel totally alone, God is there. He hasn’t forgotten you. He hasn’t made a mistake.

The Holy Spirit is a calming presence in our lives. John Ortberg says the Spirit is a “non-anxious presence” in our life. He’s like a friend who is easy to talk to. He is the Spirit of Peace (Romans 8:6).

The Spirit gives us peace that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7). What is happening to you and around you is not an accident (1 Peter 4:12).  God knows your address. God knows your anxiety. God knows your fears. God is with you (Hebrews 13:5).

What are your anxious thoughts today? Take a moment right now to exhale your worries and fears and inhale the presence of God’s Spirit, if you will. God is with you no matter where you are right now.

Support Galatians 419 Ministries with a Tax Deductible Donation through the Joy to the World Foundation:http://joytotheworldfoundation.org/operating-projects/149-galations-419-ministries/backing

Leave a Comment or Subscribe: galatians419.blogspot.com
More from Allen White: allenwhite.org
Facebook: Galatians419 Group

Twitter: @galatians419 @allenwhite 

No comments:

Post a Comment