Monday, March 7, 2016

The Days of Haagen-Dazs and LA Law

By Allen White

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,
is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing;
but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.
Psalm 68:5-6

God provides what we lack. To the fatherless, He is our Father. To the husbandless, He is the spouse. For the lonely, He provides community. For the prisoners, He sets their hearts free. But, the rebellious, the disobedient, the self-willed, the God-has-abandoned-me-so-I’ll-just-do-it-myself crowd, they end up in an unpleasant place.

I was single until I was 35 years old. Now, while there were great days when I knew that I could do whatever I wanted and nobody would care. There were also sad days when I knew nobody would care about whatever I did. I’d blow up the black balloons and drown my sorrows in gallons of Haagen-Dazs and episodes of LA Law.

Now before you started feeling sorry for me (or ridiculing me), here’s the deal: my situation was my choice. There were people all around me. And, of course, there was God who loved me.

God wants to give us what we need to live our lives for Him. God has great plans for us. “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11). He has the desire and ability to lead us into satisfying, relationally-rich lives, if we are willing.

As my friend, Al Cleveland says, “It seems all I can control is the amount of resistance I offer against his leading. He seems quite determined to save me from myself.”

How much resistance are you putting up today? What do you need today? How can you step out of the way and let God provide?

To make a tax deductible donation to Galatians 4:19 Ministries:



To subscribe or leave a comment on the galatians419 devotional blog:http://galatians419.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment