Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Disappointed with Thanksgiving

By Allen White

There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. “For whom am I toiling,” he asked,  “and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?” This too is meaningless— a miserable business! Ecclesiastes 4:8

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 1 Timothy 6:6-7

Think about your Thanksgiving table. The absence of what dish would spoil the whole meal for you? It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without – mashed potatoes? Real cranberry relish (not the jelly in the shape of the can)? Green bean casserole topped with fried onions? Pumpkin pie? The family gathered around the table? The family gathered around the TV?



We all have a sweet spot when it comes to Thanksgiving -- when we’ve had enough or slightly more than enough. If it’s just family, belts are loosened. If there’s company, we seek refuge in elastic waistbands. All of us reach the point where we’ve had enough. “I just couldn’t eat another bite.”

Think about the rest of your life. How do you know when you have enough? We live in a culture built on a marketing structure that emphasizes how much we lack. Advertising helps us fill in a blank – I would be happy if I had _________.

Our worries are fed with our lack. We stress over what we don’t have. But, for God’s children, things are different. God’s children are blessed. They’re not lucky. They’re blessed.

I went to breakfast this morning with a friend who asked how he could pray for me. I listed off all of the things I was concerned about – all of the things I lacked. I lack certainty. I lack tangible security for my family’s future. I need. I want.

He reminded me to focus on how God has blessed me. Could it be that he lacked some of what God had blessed me with? I imagine his prayer for me will focus on cultivating gratitude in my life.

Right now, you and I could rattle off a litany of lack. We should save our needs and greeds for Santa Claus. But, today, Thanksgiving Day, we should rattle off our abundance – we are surrounded by people who love us. We can watch as many games as we want in HD. We can relish our cranberry sauce (that was my must-have for Thanksgiving).

How has God blessed you on this Thanksgiving Day? Save your lack for another day. How has God blessed you abundantly today?

Leave a Comment or Subscribe: galatians419.blogspot.com
More from Allen White: allenwhite.org


No comments:

Post a Comment