Monday, October 12, 2009

Living a Balanced Life Week 4 Day 2

Psalm 139:14

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (NIV)

Most men would prefer to be a stud than a dud. But, not all of us are genetically predisposed to stud-hood. Sigh.

Several years ago in a men’s group, one of the guys told us that he developed a great sense of awe for God from an anatomy and physiology class. (In California, the natural follow-up question is: “What were you smokin’?” In South Carolina, we would just say, “Bless your heart.”). He explained about the intricacies of movement and function that allow our bodies to work. Any evolutionary process that might have developed the human body certainly would have been a miracle.

Eugene Peterson puts it this way in The Message:
“Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
you formed me in my mother's womb.
I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking!
Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
before I'd even lived one day.”
Psalm 139:13-16

Take a moment right now and praise God for the fact that you are fearfully and wonderfully made. What are three more things that you can thank God for about your body? Are you breathing? Start there.



Copyright © 2009 by Allen White

Scripture quotations taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

Scripture quotations taken from The Message. Copyright © by Eugene H. Peterson, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment