Thursday, October 15, 2009

Living a Balanced Life Week 4 Day 5

Philippians 3:20-21

But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. (NIV)

As I read this verse, I thought of my friend, Dr. Mike Collins, who heads up our BrookwoodU Leadership Track. Mike has agreed to share his story with us today:

“All my life, as an athlete, a coach and a professor in health science, I have studied and worked to make my body the best physical machine that it could be. Even in my 50s and 60s, I continue to jog in 10K runs, half marathons plus play racquetball and tennis. My passion drove me to keep my body a Temple of God. In January of 2003, I was involved in an automobile accident that left me a quadriplegic with no feeling from the chest down and unable to move any part of my body.

“Over the next months and years, I learned what a balanced life was all about and understand the beauty of the physical body, the skills of doctors, nurses and physical therapist plus the love of friends who all performed as God's earthly angels. I also moved from a life of almost total independence to complete dependency on God and His Earthly Angels. I have found that true happiness came to me by releasing my control and allowing God to use his wondrous power. I appreciate life more, care about people more and most importantly my spiritual walk with God grows each day. God blesses me each day with a greater love for him as I learned to provide Him with more and more control of my life.” – Mike Collins

One day Mike along with the rest of us who belong to Jesus will gain a spiritual body in Heaven. Mike will dance and run like he hasn’t for a while. I will be able to eat what I want and not get fat. What a day that will be!



Scripture quotations taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment