Monday, May 24, 2010

The Bible Speaks to Every Issue in Our Lives

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

I’m not much for manuals. I would rather open a new computer program or try a new venture on my own first. When I get stuck, then I find the manual or better yet, a friend who has read the manual. Most manuals give me information that I will never use anyway. Why sit down and read the whole thing?

Last year I bought an outdoor play set for my children. I thought that the hard part would be lugging the six very large boxes home. That was easy. I phoned a friend.

Once the box was opened, then the complication began. The assembly of the play set required 132 steps. One hundred and thirty-two! It was daunting to say the least. After I had completed the first three steps (only 129 more to go), it snowed. It was the one day of snow a year that we get in South Carolina, but it snowed on my project. This was going to be a very long process.

There were days when I felt that it would never be finished. My children were anxious to actually play on it. At times, they wondered if that would ever be possible. Well, after about a month of identifying parts, assembling, disassembling and then assembling correctly, it was finished. All 132 steps! The swings, the slide, the chimney, the plasma TV, everything was ready for play.

God’s Word is meant to “thoroughly equip” us. Now, if it were only 132 steps that would be awesome. Sometimes it seems like 132,000 steps. It’s the guide for the course of our lifetimes.

The Bible tells us when we’ve been wise, and when we’ve been foolish. It evaluates whether we’ve built well or have built poorly. The Bible even points out when we’ve been building the wrong things.

What are you building these days? Have you followed God’s instructions closely or are you waiting until you get stuck? God’s Word has something to say about every situation in your life. Is it time to consult the manual?

No comments:

Post a Comment