Wednesday, May 5, 2010

God Owns It All or Lessons from My Dad’s Chest of Drawers

Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all. Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. 1 Chronicles 29:11-12

These verses come from King David’s prayer after the Israelites generously donated their wealth to build the temple. The temple was a tremendous undertaking that required not only building materials but gold, silver and precious stones. It took much of what the people had to follow God’s instructions. David says, “But who am I, and who are my people that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from You, and we have given You only what comes from Your hand” (1 Chronicles 29:14).

It’s one thing to believe in God. It’s another thing to trust in God. But, our faith and trust in God take a big step when our devotion to God moves from our head to our heart to our wallet. (Okay, I do remember that this is “Creation” week, not tithing week).

Today is my dad’s 70th birthday (or yesterday if you’re receiving this by email). My dad is one of the most faithful, hardworking people I’ve ever met. (I know what you’re thinking; the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.)

When I was a boy, I wandered into my parents’ bedroom and discovered several checks sitting on my dad’s chest of drawers. They were all written to the church. One was for their tithe. Then, another check was for missions. And, yet another check was for the building fund. At first, I kind of got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. It sure seemed like a lot of money to me. I knew that this wasn’t a onetime event. This was a regular habit.

Our family didn’t live a lavish life. While we didn’t have everything we wanted, we did have everything that we needed. What money couldn’t provide, our faith in God certainly could. I’m grateful to my dad for teaching me through his example to trust God with my life.

God requires very little of us compared to what He gives. As Jesus said, “If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” (Matthew 7:11; Luke 11:13).

What do you need today? Have you asked God? He owns it all.

1 comment: