Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Become Like Jesus


If you would rather watch than read click here:  http://youtu.be/ZYNxLXDOZfw
And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect... because we live like Jesus here in this world. 1 John 4:17 NLT
I’m a visual guy so it helps me to have a target in mind if I am to grow to be like Jesus. I get it that becoming like Christ happens in relationship but what does it look like in everyday life? Have you ever wondered? Here is a way that helps me visualize the behaviors that are the natural outcomes of a life lived like Jesus. It is what I've come to call the SENT circle.
Imagine with me a circle with three colorful sections, one blue, one yellow and one green with the word SENT in the center. These represent the three primary characteristics of a Jesus follower.
Love God
A person who follows Jesus has a true heart of love for God. This comes from knowing Him and spending time with Him. Worship, prayer and reading the Bible are all ways that we grow in our understanding and appreciation of who he is. This can be an absolute delight!
Love People
We were created from relationship for relationship. We are better together and the closer we draw to God the closer we get to one another. Those who find their way back to God become family. We live in community and through us the love of God reaches those who don’t yet know Him.
Live Out the Love of Jesus
We become the hands and feet of Jesus as we serve others in His name. We discover the reality that is more blessed to give than to receive. Through us heaven touches earth and earth becomes more like heaven.
LIVING SENT
This is the Jesus’ life where we are living for something greater than self. It is a life lived on mission, on purpose, all day, all the time. Jesus said, As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you. John 20:21 NLT
At different times I’m stronger in one of these behaviors than the others but as I grow in one the others also get stronger. It isn’t linear, as if one comes after the other. They all work together to produce the Jesus’ life which I call Living SENT.
Maybe you would pray with me, God, form the image of Christ in me and make me more like Jesus.
Gary Kendall
www.livingsent.net/devotionals
Week 2, Growing to be Like Jesus, Day 3, Devo 8

No comments:

Post a Comment