Sunday, July 6, 2014

Imperfectly Perfect

By Allen White

I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. Philippians 3:12-14

Paul uses a word here that many people get stuck on: perfection. The word evokes references to Jesus saying, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:48, KJV).

The Greek word used here for “perfect” is better translated “complete” or “finished.” Paul gives the analogy of running the race and admits that he certainly hadn’t crossed the finished line. He’s not perfect.

So, how do imperfect people cross the finish line? Don’t get stuck in the past. You messed up. Admit your fault. Right the wrong. Swallow your pride and move on. God isn’t finished with you yet. But, one day, you will be perfect.

Support Galatians 419 Ministries with a Tax Deductible Donation through the Joy to the World Foundation: http://joytotheworldfoundation.org/operating-projects/149-galations-419-ministries/backing

Leave a Comment or Subscribe: galatians419.blogspot.com
More from Allen White: allenwhite.org
Facebook: Galatians419 Group

No comments:

Post a Comment