Thursday, July 3, 2014

We Like the Power, Just Not the Suffering

By Allen White

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Philippians 3:10-11 (NIV)

Read this passage again. When I read this passage, there are definitely some things that I want, and then, there are some things that I’m not sure that I want. I will let you make your own columns.

I want to know Christ and His power. I really want that. But, I would like to be exempted from the rest of the verse please. If I’m honest, then I have to admit that ignoring the rest of the verse isn’t really getting me out of anything. Whether I follow Christ or whether I don’t, the bottom line is that everybody in this world suffers. No one escapes that.

Now that I own the fact that I do suffer, there is something interesting in this passage: “the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings.” Fellowship is not really the word that I would expect there. But, think about this: I am going to suffer any way and when I suffer, not only am I reminded of Christ’s sufferings, but when I suffer, Christ is right there suffering with me. Jesus has been through far worse than anything I’ve been through. He understands what I’m going through.

Support Galatians 419 Ministries with a Tax Deductible Donation through the Joy to the World Foundation: http://joytotheworldfoundation.org/operating-projects/149-galations-419-ministries/backing

Leave a Comment or Subscribe: galatians419.blogspot.com
More from Allen White: allenwhite.org
Facebook: Galatians419 Group



No comments:

Post a Comment