Monday, July 14, 2014

Winning Over Worry

By Allen White

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6

Being my mother’s son, I was born a worrier. I wish I had been born a warrior, but that’s another topic. For many years, I took this passage in the wrong way. When I read, “Don’t worry about anything…” I took it to mean “Thou shalt not worry.” So, by worrying I was refusing to trust God in the matter; therefore, worry equaled sin. One more thing to worry about.

Then, one day I saw the light. Worry actually has a purpose. It’s right there in the verse. When I begin to worry that’s the signal that I’m supposed to pray. Worry is like a warning light on the dashboard of my car. When the warning lights up, I need to take my car to someone who has mechanical ability beyond my own rather than just being annoyed by the light.

Why do I worry? Because I am projecting too far into the future. Because I am trying to control what is beyond my control. Because I am trying to figure out things on God’s behalf. So easy question: who holds the future and is in control? God is.

What should I do? Simply this: Worry. Pray. Worry. Pray. Repeat.

Support Galatians 419 Ministries with a Tax Deductible Donation through the Joy to the World Foundation: http://joytotheworldfoundation.org/operating-projects/149-galations-419-ministries/backing

Leave a Comment or Subscribe: galatians419.blogspot.com
More from Allen White: allenwhite.org
Facebook: Galatians419 Group

No comments:

Post a Comment